When it comes to steel buildings, water is one of the biggest threats. Leaks can form from inside the building through condensation or the outside of the building through storms. Even the smallest amount of water can become a significant problem. From corrosion to nasty odors, damaged steel can negatively affect your business. Read below to learn how to prevent steel building roof leaks.
5 Ways to Prevent Leaks in Steel Buildings
There’s a lot more damage water can do to steel than one would think. Small amounts of water can create rust, corrosion, nasty odors, mold, insect infestations, decreased life of your building, and water damages to the structure and insulation. Over time, it can create an unhealthy work environment with poor air quality from mold and mildew.
- High-Quality Metal: When hiring a commercial roof contractor, try to invest in high-quality materials. Commercial-grade steel can protect your building from water and other damage.
- Proper Insulation: Properly installed insulation will decrease the amount of condensation. An extra plus of properly installed insulation includes cutting your heating and cooling bills. Going the extra mile for quality insulation will work in your favor over time!
- Proper Installation: Commercial roofers can properly install all the nuts and bolts of your roof. Installing screws and fitting them to the steel frame can cause leaks if not installed correctly.
- Clear Drains: Another common cause of roof leaks is puddling in the drain. Pools of water after a big storm can create backup in the drains, gutters, and downspouts. Debris from storms, leaves, and other outdoor plants can clog or block the drain. This is an easy way to save your building from water damage and a hefty bill.
- Regular Inspections & Maintenance: Steel building roof maintenance is the best way to avoid leaks. Regular maintenance can catch a small problem before it becomes an expensive one. Inspect the building regularly. Check the perimeters, roof openings, pipes, and make sure the roof sealant is working effectively.
Maintaining a roof that performs at a high level can be incredibly tricky in the unforgiving Florida climate. Storm damage is common, and the high humidity levels can make combatting moisture a near-constant challenge. That’s why Elite Roofing Services offers a commercial roof maintenance program that can help you avoid costly re-roofing and repair bills and ensure your roof stays in optimal condition. Monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, and annual roof maintenance can be scheduled to check leaks, damage, missing shingles, splits, blisters, and any equipment that has become unattached. Emergency roof repair is available, as well! For more information on Elite Roofing Services, visit our website or give us a call at 877-630-0081 or 813-630-0800!